Friday, July 24, 2009

Austin versus the ceiling...


today while working on the house i demoed the front bedroom ceiling, the back bedroom and bath, and half of the middle bedroom ceiling. i was removing the plaster and lathe from the ceiling when i got to the light in the middle of the ceiling. instead of just smashing it with the crowbar i decided to remove it first so i wouldn't have to sweep up broken glass. i stood under the light and started to unscrew the screws that hold the face plate to the ceiling, but i couldn't see what i was doing because it was so dusty in there. i took off my goggles to see better. i removed the screws and gave the face plate a gentle tug when basically a large section of the ceiling came crashing down right onto my upturned face. most of it fell away from me, but the wallpaper on the ceiling held strong where it was and basically clocked me in the face like a trap door. i saw STARS. the impact knocked the respirator off of my face and ended up around my neck. once i got hit in the face i immediately leaned over and put my hands to my face. when i straightened up i looked at my hands and realized that they were covered in blood. i could feel the warmth running down my face, but i wasn't sure where it was coming from because my face was black from the soot of the ceiling dust... i ran down the garden where i had a stack of mirrors saved for the mosaic i saw where the cut was. right across the bridge of my fucking nose. i was a little panicked. i'm a vain gay boy who likes his face the way it is.. so after realizing what i needed to do i grabbed some toilet paper, pressed it against my nose, grabbed my keys, my bike and biked over to my house a few blocks away. i had to take a shower to get the soot off of my face, and the warm water on my nose was like getting hit all over again.

here's what i looked like after i got out of the shower....


and here is what it looked like after i got it all cleaned up.

thankfully it was only a half inch gash across the bridge of my nose, and not a gash across my eye. although i do have some scratches on my eyelids. plaster corners are friggin' SHARP.

so tomorrow when i go to TLA to work, ill have a slight shiner, and a butterfly stich across my nose... hopefully people wont think im in some kind of fight club or worse.

but all in all, i consider my self lucky. and from now on, im going to keep my goggles on when working, even if i cant see.

i probably should have just smashed that light with a crow bar. that might have been more fun.

1 comment:

  1. aaaaw shit!! i'm glad you're ok!! and that bandage looks kind of cool. you're prolific as fuuuuck!

    ReplyDelete